Addis Emmett Hull
A. E. Hull Pottery Co. was the result of the old addage of being in the right
place at the right time. Educated at Parsons Business College in Zanesville,
Ohio, A. E started his career in the pottery world as a traveling salesman for
his brother, J.J. Hull the who operated The Star Stonery Co..
The Globe Pottery Co.
Learning the business as he traveled across the country A. E.
recognized the increasing demand for stoneware items. In 1901 he made
his first venture into manufacturing pottery and stoneware by starting
The Globe Stoneware Co. with E. O. Watts as president, William A. Watts
as secretary and Jeptha Darby Young as superintendent.
The Acme Pottery Co.
In the general time frame his brother and others organized the Acme
Pottery company. This company was different to the Globe Stoneware Co,
they manufactured a very fine grade of semi-porcelain dinnerware whereas
The Globe Stoneware Co produced only stoneware.
A.E.Hull Pottery is started.
Final in 1904 A. E sold his interest in the Globe Stoneware Co. and
organized the A.E. Hull Pottery Co.. William Watts and J. D. Young
joined him at this time serving as Secretary-Treasurer and
Superintendent. The new company was organized in July, 1905 with
production centered on stoneware and stoneware specialties. ( The Globe
Stoneware company was finally sold to W.J. Watt in 1921 becoming the
Watt Pottery Company.)
A.E. Hull Expands
In 1907 A.E. hull purchased the Acme Pottery Co giving
the company two plants to produce pottery from and also two different
products to sell. During the 1920s the company produced a full line of
quality stoneware, semi-porcelain in plain and embossed shapes as well
as art pottery, florist pots and saucers, and garden ware. This
included toilet and kitchenware used by hotels and residences both.
1927 Tiling Operations
In 1927 the first plant was converted to manufacturing
tile. Hull tile was considered a high end tile was sold for around
sixty-five cent a square foot at that time with matching accessories
such as towel bars and soap dishes. Hull tile were specical order pieces
with most orders coming from northern cities such as New York,
Chicago and Detroit.
A interesting period of time for the pottery makers in
Ohio which showed the close knit group of people that ran the industry
around Crooksville, Zanesville and Roseville, Ohio. During this period
of time in US history foreign imports were not selling and the pottery
made in the states was not selling either. In order to stay in business
the owners of several of the potteries formed a company called The American Clay
Products Company. The company's included A.E. Hull, Nelson McCoy
sanitary Stoneware co., Burley Pottery co, Burley Winter Pottery co,
Crooksville Pottery Co, Logan Pottery Co, Muskingum Pottery co,
Ransbottom Brothers Pottery co and Star Stoneware with possible more
The company was formed to advertise and sell all of the
above mentioned companies products under one banner without any markings
of any one company. This lasted only a short time as one company broke
the agreement by placing tier marks on their products or so goes the
tale as it has been told over the years.
The Shulton Years
In 1937 Hull landed a large contract with Shulton of New
York to produce pottery cosmetic containers. These included Old Spice
shaving mugs, after shave lotion, cologne and talc bottles. Production
was started in 1937 with the products showing up in the stores in 1938.
Hull developed a lot of their art pottery during this period
including the Red Riding Hood series designed by Louise Bauer. The series
was produced long into the 50s with many different shapes. The blanks were
made at the Hull plants and shipped out to Royal China and Novelty Company
for floral decals and decorations. Demanding a98789887 premium piece a few
years ago now has become a common piece on the internet market although it
has become a favorite with the fake makers. Hull's pastel art pottery
flourished during the forties into year of 1950 when the plant was destroyed
by a flood and then fire took out the rest of the plant as the kilns were
flooding with waster as they were reaching temperatures of over 2000
Reconstruction and the Fifties
On January 1, 1952 the company was restored and renamed The
Hull Pottery with full production coming from all new latest technology in
pottery making. During this period of time the company produced a large
number of small novelty pieces including the large dime banks and the Corky
Pigs. The days of the pastels were gone with the fire of 1950 but a lot of
substandard pastel pieces from the fifties are showing up with most coming
from the woodland series. Most of the modern Hull has a high gloss finish
such as the Ebb tide pieces.
Hull also produced pieces for Marcrest from their Heritage ware in colored
pieces only and early
House and Garden lines in Mirror brown during this time.
The sixties and modern production
In the late fifties and early sixties Hull followed the trends in casual living coming
from California and developed the House and Garden series. This was a
ovenproof heavy ware with thick lines expected to withstand years of
abuse both inside the kitchen and outside at the barbecue. The first in
this series was the Mirror Brown series and other smaller series were
developed from this pattern including the Rainbow series with colors
Tangerine, Green agate and butterscotch. This grouping became known as
the Rainbow series. Next came Crestone in the House and Garden series.
This series continued until 1967 when it was discontinued leaving only
the Mirror Brown as the sole survivor of the House and Garden Series.
Most books show Crestone as a brown only but the series is showing up in
70s and 80s and Demise
During the 70s and 80s the Hull company stayed afloat by
depending on their floral (Imperial) and House and Garden products. The House and
Garden was again expanded to include two new colors of gray and tan
with some new designed pieces and the bringing back of the pigs and the
gingerbread man, the hen on a nest, new designed gravy bowls, lazy susans' and others.
The company final shut down in 1985 due to lack lustre sales and the
increase of foreign products.